The Importance of Having Adrenal Health
The adrenal glands are essential to many critical processes in the body, such as metabolism, counteracting inflammations, maintaining adequate energy levels and regulating adrenaline and cortisol. However, it is estimated that more than 80 percent of American adults have adrenal glands that are not working properly.
Adrenal Glands and Stress
Cortisol, the stress hormone, is created in the cortex of the adrenal glands and has a key role in adrenal health. In someone who is healthy, the levels of cortisol will be at their highest early in the morning and will gradually decline as the day go on. The body will also trigger the production of cortisol to provide quick energy in response to a stressful event. The levels of the hormone should return back to normal when the stressful event is over.
Many people live hectic lives that results in stress levels that are constantly high. When such stress is the norm, your adrenal glands can become overworked and fatigued with continuously producing and emitting cortisol without having the down time to recover. This results in your body being unable to properly regulate its cortisol levels.
Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue
If your adrenal glands are not operating as they should, you may experience a wide range of symptoms that can affect your quality of life. They include:
- The inability to fall asleep or wake up easily
- Reduced sex drive
- Fatigue when waking up, regardless of how long you were able to sleep
- Digestive complications
- Difficulty with handling stress
- Food cravings
- Impaired immunity, which results in you being ill more often
Prioritizing Your Adrenal Health
Having optimal adrenal health and repairing the adrenal glands that have been overworked over a long period of time requires that you not only incorporate lifestyle factors that reduce stress and anxiety, but that you also consume the substances that can nurture your body and heal and support your adrenal glands naturally. At Prime Wellness, we understand the importance of first considering natural remedies instead of prescribing medication to restore one’s health. There are all-natural supplements, nutrients and herbs that you can incorporate into your diet to maintain or restore your adrenal health:
- Omega-3s Fatty Acids. Omega-3 acids can reduce inflammation in body, which is helpful as the body’s reaction to stress tends to increase inflammatory processes. Cortisol normally acts as an anti-inflammatory, but will be unable to do so properly if the adrenal glands are overworked. There are multiple types of omega-3 supplements available, including fish oil, which can reduce surges in your cortisol levels, and walnut oil.
- Ashwaganda (Withania somnifera). Also referred to as Indian ginseng, ashwaganda is known to combat fluctuations in adrenal weight, blood sugar and cortisol levels, which are symptoms caused by severe stress. The herb has a calming effect and is also known to reduce the behaviors related to anxiety.
- Magnesium. Magnesium has an important role in the distribution of hormones and nutrients. It is a mineral element that is present of your bones, muscles and soft tissues and serves as fuel for the enzymes responsible for chemical processes at the cellular level. There are multiple magnesium supplements available that can be easily absorbed and used by your body, including magnesium orotate, magnesium phosphate or magnesium amino acid chelate.
- Vitamin B5, B6 and B12. The B vitamins are necessary enhancing cellular metabolic pathways that increase your energy and eliminate the tiredness associated with adrenal fatigue. B5 has a key role in creating the co-enzyme A, which aids in cellular respiration. B6 is used in many pathways that are instrumental in creating adrenal hormones, and B12 helps with the development of red blood cells. The amounts of each of the B vitamins you will need will vary.
- Licorice Root. If you are suffering from adrenal fatigue, you can use licorice root to keep your cortisol in circulation for a longer period of time. The herb has been known to preserve energy levels, kindle the production of hormones and improve one’s endurance.
At Prime Wellness, we provide naturopathic-based services to give our patients the personalized care they need. We also provide all-natural products, including those by Metagenics, which you can use to obtain optimal adrenal health. We recommend that you try Adrenogen, which can give you the nutritional support you need for health adrenal function.